Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Baking Soda Ornaments

Oh man oh man!
I have been so very sick the past couple days. Just a bad cough but that combined with having a too long to-do list equaled pure exhaustion. I had a show in Athens, Georgia on Saturday and it was a good show but I think I learned my lesson about pushing past not feeling well. I was outside in the cold all day and didn't get a chance to eat until a fellow vendor took pity on me and gave me some pretzels! It ended up being worth it though, because I got to see my cousin that I haven't seen in years and her new husband!

My cousin had made these lovely Christmas ornaments (she gave me one) out of baking soda and cornstarch and I was so impressed I had to make my own! So here is how to make really inexpensive, totally custom ornaments!

Baking Soda Ornaments
You Need:
2 Cups Baking Soda
1 Cup Cornstarch
1 1/2 Cups Water
Watercolors or Sharpies

Step One: Stir together the baking soda and cornstarch in a saucepan and then add the water.

Step Two: Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly.

Step Three: The mixture will start to bubble and then thicken. When the mixture is thick enough to form a ball and leave the sides of the pan, it is ready.

Step Four: Put the mixture onto some wax paper and wrap it up. Leave it to cool and thicken a bit more for a few minutes.

Step Five: Roll the dough out between two pieces of wax paper so it doesn't stick. Use cookie cutters or can lids to cut out shapes you like. This is a great time to get the kiddos involved! It's even more fun than playing with play dough because it's softer and they get to make it into something permanent!

Step Six: Using a toothpick, make a hole in the top of each ornament (to hang them) and if you want, scratch out a design or words on the ornament.

Step Seven: Bake in the oven on 300 for 30 minutes or until the bottoms of the ornaments are hard. Be careful not to crack them when you are checking!

Step Eight: Paint! Use watercolors or if you are feeling low maintenance, sharpies!




No comments:

Post a Comment