Monday, November 19, 2012

Make-it Monday: fingerless gloves!

The other day I came home and saw something sad on my floor. My naughty pup, Maeby, was annoyed at the ONE day since I've gotten her that she hadn't been walked in the morning, and she wreaked her revenge by chewing up my beautiful new banana republic gloves that I found at a yard sale. If she hadn't looked so cute and and I hadn't been worried she might have swallowed the buttons on it I would have been M-A-D! As it was, I was still pretty sad she ruined my pretty gloves. So I decided to make some new gloves! I think they turned out okay although I think I might pick a different fabric next time.

Fingerless Gloves-
What You'll Need:
Old sweater or any thick fabric with a good amount of stretch
A secondary contrasting fabric, old sleeve cuffs work well
A sewing machine!

 1. First, get it all together.

 2. Next, remove any fabric you aren't going to need.

 3. Measure the narrowest part of your wrist and add half an inch to that measurement. Next, cut two squares. One side should be the measurement from your wrist, the other side can be however far down your arm you want your glove to go. For the secondary fabric cut the same length on one side, just narrower. This is where using cuffs from t-shirts can come in handy cause it removes a lot of work!

 4. Sew the cuffs onto the squares.

 5. Stitch up the sides of the gloves and turn them inside out. If your squares aren't pre-hemmed, use a zig-zag stitch on the top of your gloves at this point to keep them from fraying. You might need to do that to the inner seam as well if it's a particularly fraying-prone fabric.

 6. Use the zig-sag stitch to put a few stitches in about an inch in at the top of the glove to make a finger-hole. Do that on both gloves. And bing bang boom you have two new gloves!


2 comments:

  1. Hi

    What a brilliant idea! Great little picture tutorial too.

    Unfortunately though, Make It Monday is a papercraft linky party, so your entry is not valid.

    Was fun to come by and visit though.

    Michelle :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oops- sorry Michelle! I missed that somehow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete